Strains and sprains not only keep you out of your favorite sport, but can also affect your job. You might lose wages because you're not able to do your job.
But it’s a good thing that just a little preventative care can help you avoid debilitating injuries.
1. Use the proper lift and carry techniques.
-When lifting, don’t bend at the waist. Stand where the object you’re picking up is directly in front of you.
- Lower your body to a squatting position with your back straight.
- Use your legs to lift your body and the object.
-Know your limits! If you try to lift or carry more than you're able, the techniques won't do any good. Get help with the heavy stuff.
- If you need to turn to place the object on a shelf or table, don’t twist your torso at the waist. Instead, turn your whole body to face in the direction you need.
- Always do a warm-up before strenuous activities like exercise, playing sports, or doing manual labor.
2. Dress warm in cold weather. Muscles tend to tighten in response to the cold. That makes them vulnerable to strain.
3. Maintain a healthy weight.